Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cathedrals=History, Art, and Architecture


Cathedrals seem like such a significant part of the history, art, and architecture of England. So far I have had the opportunity to see St. Paul's (from the outside), Westminster Abbey, and Salisbury Cathedral.


As I visit each cathedral I am amazed at how much there is to take in of the history of the building and the people that were a part of its creation, as well as the people entombed there. Each one has so many stories to tell.


Today as I visited Salisbury Cathedral I learned some very interesting facts about its place in history. It has Britain's tallest spire, it has the world's oldest mechanical working clock (1386), and it has the finest of only four surviving original Magna Carta (1215).


It is an awesome feeling to step into a medieval cathedral and feel its magnificence.


No comments:

Post a Comment