Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Pubs, Pub Food, and the Culture of London





Over the past three weeks I have had the opportunity to experience many pubs in and around the London area and I have come to realize what a big part of the culture pubs are here.

There are pubs on every street and just about every corner. Of course they all advertise having the "best fish and chips in London." Besides fish and chips, pies of the day, Pimms, and of course beer are always on the menu.

Before I left on my trip to London, my uncle Terry had recommended a pub called Porter's in Covent Garden for my flatmates and I to try. With such a busy schedule it took a while before we could make it there, but we finally made it there last night.

We enjoyed ourselves and some of the traditional pub drink and cuisine. I ordered their daily special called "Toads in the Hole" which was a bread bowl filled with sausages, onions, and gravy served with mashed potatoes. Crystal had a fish pie, Erica ordered a steak with new potatoes, and Cynthia had a steak and cheese pie. We shared a couple pitchers of Pimms and Erica and Cynthia saved room for dessert. Erica's was called "Spotted Dick" which we all found to be an interesting and humorous name for a dessert. It was a small cake with raisins and topped with custard.

Here are some pictures from our night out at Porter's.

No comments:

Post a Comment